Pages

Friday 10 June 2011

Dorian Gray

So, as you already know I have this thing for 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', and yesterday I acquired 'Dorian Gray' and 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'. I haven't watched 'Dorian Gray' (2009) before but I have heard a lot of good things about it and I really enjoyed seeing Ben Barnes in 'The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian'.


The film was, let's just say, disappointing. It was really disjointed from my point of view and I just didn't get it. I got really lost and I couldn't understand why there was so much well nudity and sex scenes, I practically skipped through most of it. Like, I understand that the whole point was to show Dorian's fall from innocence but did it have to be in just sexual ways with anything and everything he could find?? It was a bit over the top.

I purposefully watched the film before I finished reading the book because usually films are a bit of a let down when you've read the book. I like to think I merit things on their own credibility, and that the books just give me a sense of where the plot in the film is going to go, but the film was just... I can't really describe it, even in it's own merit to me, it's weird, and well just a bit odd. I might come back to it after I've read the book to see how I feel.

My mum says I should watch the older version of 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' because it sticks more closely to book, so I shall have to hunt it down from somewhere.


I have watched 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' before so I kinda already know that it is good but I haven't watched it in a while so I am hoping my memory doesn't deceive me. I know the film itself isn't completely based on Dorian Gray but he is in it and I like how all the famous novels come to life.

I still want to read more Oscar Wilde.

Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment